Is Nyanja for “Let’s look after ourselves”.
Our vision is to rediscover our communal roots utilizing youth-led community service projects as a focal point for HIV/AIDS education. Tizisunge! is a program where the youth involved are responsible for making decisions in every aspect of their day to day work and implementation of each program.
Underlying themes include:
- Leadership skills training, i.e. youth leading youth, learning and growing from one another and then passing it along to other youth to carry the torch;
- HIV/AIDS prevention education;
- Positive effects of food & nutrition for all demographics;
- Enhancing self-esteem; supporting our youth to take control of their lives to build a positive future;
- Self-empowerment: enabling our youth to take action on issues that matter to them.
We also have a youth club for young girls from the age group of 12 to 24. We assist them in reading and writing, while encouraging them to exchange letters with others. When available we hand out story books, novels and other literature that can enhance their reading skills.
Our goal is to increase our ability to reach more girls and add life skills training. You can play a critical role in increasing the literacy rate among this group with donations of second hand books, stationery, bags, and flip charts.